We’ve noticed a change in the kind of person our clients want to hire. It’s not enough to have the technical skills anymore. Our clients are looking for triple threats: IT experts with 5+ experience in a specific business vertical plus excellent people skills.
It’s not just about coding in a cubicle anymore. Now employers are looking for technology experts with client-facing skills, adaptable people who can move from one team to another. But people like this are in short supply. Here are the top skills in demand in the Toronto GTA job market right now:
- Mobile Programmers – J2ME, Objective C and Android – anybody with hands on experience can write their own ticket. If you are a college or university and you want to increase your placement rates, then teach these courses and give the power to the graduates.
- Programmers with client facing skills – Consulting companies are hiring again. If you have OO skills and have experience working with a consulting company, you know you are in demand because you get calls all the time. If you have these skills and are looking for work call us at 416 364 2300 and we'll give you multiple opportunities J
- Derivatives and technology – A deadly combination that makes you very much in demand. As a candidate with a few years experience, these skills you will get 70K.
- Solutions and Enterprise Architect – Being able to see the big picture allows these candidates to have the power. SOA consultants have the ability to design the fundamental 'architecture' of an application. The Enterprise Architect is especially sought after since they are able to architect applications that are compatible with many different divisions of an enterprise.
- Government Experience – As much as the government says they will consider people without government experience, if you have this experience you can write your ticket.
- Business Intelligence – So much data is being tracked throught social media that people with the skills to analyze and help clients use this data are, and will continue to be, in huge demand.
- IT Job Market 2011: Is This a Candidate's Job Market?
- 10 Tips to Capture Hot Candidates
- Canada's Summer Job Market is Sizzling
- Welcome to Toronto, Silicon Valley North
- Top 10 IT Skills in Demand 2010
Tim Collins, President and Owner, Stafflink Solutions